Skip to main content

Following Instructions

I write a lot, and after I suffered a stroke in 2009, I was determined to continue writing. Twelve years later, as I look back at some of my work, I am appalled at the typographical and grammatical errors I made in my essays.  Adding further to my dismay, I realized that I posted them on the internet for all to see! Vision impairments resulting from the stroke had caused me to skip spaces and make multiple spelling errors. Although I was not known as a perfectionist in my writing skills, I could get by with very few mistakes in most of my writings before the stroke.  Now I find that  I must relearn the rules of basic grammar.  Comma usage, writing in an active voice, and avoiding run-on sentences are common mistakes that I  make.  After years of writing blog posts, I can go back and correct the errors I made and move forward. I can do this because I found a program on the internet that corrects common mistakes in writing. At first, I settled for using the free version.  Then I decided to invest a little more in my work by purchasing the paid professional version.  I continued to write, this time with some improvement. Still, my papers were not the best they could be.
As I searched for answers, I wondered why the program was not living up to its claims.  After all, I had invested in a program that promised to correct most or all of my mistakes. Yet, something was wrong.  There were still many errors in my essays.  After giving my situation some thought, I realized that I was not using the program's full potential!   After I read the accompanying instructions and the helpful suggestions, I found out that I had only begun to tap into the program's capabilities.
Since then, I have learned some important lessons. I see that if you are going to invest in anything to improve how you do things, you can not go about it in a hap Hazzard way.   It is essential to take the time to read the instructions, or you will not get the results that you desire. As I thought about my problem with the grammar program, I realized that our lives might be a lot like this.   We all want a happy and fulfilling life.  Yet, unless you read and follow the instructions, you can make a lot of poor decisions.  If you are experiencing difficulties due to poor choices, get out God's instruction book, the Bible, read daily, and follow the instructions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hounds, Birds and Squirrels, The battle rages on Day two

Round two of the grey squirrel battle begins.  It is the early morning. I spot a squirrel slowly coming out of the oak tree, and   I watch from my window as this ring leader hits the ground. He heads straight for the deck.  His tail is twitching erratically. I am convinced that the ring leader, the one who I named Boris, is sending out an all-clear signal to the infantry.  Suddenly I see them. The brave first squirrel, who was running point position, is followed by two others. I watch from my window as the tree rats survey the situation. Satisfied that the dogs are sleeping unaware of the pending assault, the tree rats begin their ascent to the feeder. Watching from the window now with a cup of coffee firmly in my hand, I call for the reinforcements.   " Come quickly, "I yell to my husband. My hero appears at my side with our son's 35-year-old Red Rider BB rifle in hand.  Pump, pump my husband loads, opens the door aims, and fires. Uninjured but shaken the squirrels, retr

A Wrinkle in My Time Living with Hemianopsia

    March of 2009 my world was rocked.   I experienced a cryptogenic stroke which is a stroke caused by a blood clot from an unknown cause.  The clot was located in the right frontal occipital lobe of my brain. As a result, I suffer from Hemianopsia. What this means is that a portion of my visual field is missing in both my eyes.  Hemianopsia is classified by the part of your visual field that’s missing. These are the parts of my visual fields that are no longer there.   left homonymous: left half  superior: upper half  inferior: or lower half  In other words, I can only see in the right side visual field.  Another way to illustrate this is to ask you to imagine a dinner plate divided evenly in four quarters.  I can only see portions of the right side quarters of the plate. If we run into each other either at the church or on the street please know, it is very hard for me to recognize anyone.  I only see a portion of a person’s face. Therefore when you say hello to m
Day Three, a new weapon unleashed. It is a beautiful Carolina morning, and I strategically place my coffee cup on the deck table to gain some ground in the battle. My troops retreated.  The hounds needed to recover from the heat, and They opted to stay inside the airconditioned barracks. I am left to continue alone. As I am sipping my coffee, I can hear the call of crows in the distance—their squawking sounds like mocking laughter.  Weary and discouraged from yesterday's scrimmage, I ponder the day and the attack on the feeder to come. Late yesterday I made a devastating decision.   I abandoned my post to travel into town. I was leaving the feeder unguarded, a poor tactical maneuver.  Today I survey the damages. Taking full advantage of our absence Boris and the gang emptied the food supply in the feeder, leaving only a few empty hulls.  No wonder the crows are laughing. That is when the thought hit me!  Of course, bubble wrap! As I watched the enemy scatter after my hero husban